Here is the list of components that I have ordered for this VM server build.
- Case:iStar D-213-MATX 2U Rackmount Server Chassis
- PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D Green 380 Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
- Motherboard: ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97M PRO4
- CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 CPU - BX80646I54460
- Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - 2 kits for a total of 32GB
- Misc: StarTech USB A to USB Motherboard 4-Pin Header
You may notice that there are no drives as part of my order. I’m going to install the server OS on either a USB flash drive or a small SSD that I currently have. As for VM storage, I will do a test install using an HDD that I have laying around, but in the end I’m going to see if I can get it connected to storage on my Synology NAS, which has ~6TB of storage capacity.
My total cost so far for these parts is: $523.78