I went ahead made sure all software for my sites were up to date last night. The blog upgrades went really well. However, upgrading my wiki wasn’t the most fun. After upgrading it from mediawiki 1.4.2 to 1.4.5, I was getting an undefined function error that was preventing the wiki from loading. This server is running RH 7.3 and php is only at version 4.1.3. Turns out that in one of the last releases of mediawiki they use a new function that is only available in php 4.2.0 and above. I was a little bummed at first because there is no way I’m updating php. So I decided to get a little adventurous and went in to the code and found the referenced function and commented out that line. It looked like it was something that was used for debugging anyways. Much to my surprise after commenting out that line the site worked perfectly.
I’m only weeks away from a major server upgrade where these issues should go away for a couple of years. [praying that sarge is actually released next week!]